Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Just to check back in with my progress, since last time I have discovered by individual listening style.  After taking a short quiz with questions about listening, I was presented with the highest score in action-oriented.  As an action-oriented listener I prefer brief and to the point messages in conversations.  When in a conversation with an action-oriented listener they may often ask “so what” and try to make a “to-do list” of actions to follow.  These types of listeners also become frusturated with others are unable to clearly communicate their ideas with organization and crispness.  According to McCornack, these listeners want “information about what caused the problem, so a solution could be generated” (161). 

I have also received feedback about my progress in developing my listening skills.  In class one of my classmates had forgot what group he was a part of and because I was active listening in the weeks before I was able to remember that he indeed was an action-oriented listener too!  This small example of feedback played a great role in my efforts to actually listen to others instead of just worrying about my own agenda.  

Engaging in active listening in group situation



No comments:

Post a Comment